Monday, May 27, 2013

Yoga updates

It's almost the end of May, and I really need to start putting my plans into action. First off, I need to find an institution where I can devote my time to helping other people, especially through yoga. I was originally thinking of Marilac Hills, a center for abused and neglected women. This is located in Muntinlupa, which is perfect since I am from the south of the metro too. However, upon researching I discovered that this center caters to YOUNG women - as in 18 years old and below (click here for the list of DSWD institutions). I have yet to find out the minimum age that a person needs to be in order to practice yoga. Besides, there are waivers to sign, and if these are minors then they would need a guardian to sign. Finally, yoga for kids is completely different, so I will not be the best person to teach them. I might end up causing them more injury than actually helping them (*gasp*)!



The person from Marillac with whom I spoke mentioned I should probably contact The Haven - National Center for Women. The information is also located in the website. I have yet to contact them - will keep you posted. Basically I would need to create a proposal and send it to the head of the whole Department of Social Welfare and Development (currently it is Dinky Soliman), after which I will find out in 2-3 weeks (if I'm lucky - this is the government, after all) if my proposal is approved or not. I am now trying to see if I could have this expedited through my networks. Let's see. But first things first, I need to speak with a social worker from The Haven. By the way, this is also located in Muntinlupa.

Another option for me is to take the NGO route. I checked the DSWD site (click here and here to get the most updated list of NGOs), and boy were there a lot. I have to conduct my research. As much as possible, I don't want it to be a "popular" institution - you know, one that is already receiving a lot of help from various groups (e.g. religious, academic, part of a company's CSR program, etc.). I would also want it to be a residential center, to have a continuity of sorts. So, wish me luck! I reckon this would be much easier in terms of paperwork, but I first need to limit my choices to 5-10 institutions.

Of course, there is that other thing: yoga teacher training. I'll talk about that in another post. I'm really excited about this! It's so close I can almost taste it. Keep praying for me! This is it.


Namaste,

No comments:

Post a Comment