Monday, November 19, 2012

Upcoming running events

I am psyched to be joining the following races over the next several weeks:

Million Hectare Challenge - November 25, 2012. Liwasang Ullalim, CCP Complex, Pasay City. This is Haribon Foundation's annual event. No idea how long this has been going on, though. The main thrust is to restore 1 million hectares of rainforest by planting native trees. Their theme is, "I care. I nurture. I shape the future." - very catchy, don't you think?


Not only is it for a good cause, the registration fee is pretty cheap, too. I paid only PHP500 for the 10k run. Will claim my race kit on Thursday, which apparently contains the singlet, a timing chip, plus a tree card. Apparently they will name a tree or a seedling after you. Will confirm this once I get my race kit.

My wish is that, being an event from an environmentalist group, this should be a cup-less event: that is, runners should bring their own bottles and hydration stations will merely serve as refilling stations. Every time I run, I am shocked at how much trash we generate. PinoyFitness.com has one such event in December. I hope this will be the trend moving forward.

Nike We Run Manila 10K - December 2, 2012. SM Mall of Asia. Obviously, this is one race everyone's been waiting for. Nike organized a series of races around the world, and Manila is one of the stops. Registration is at PHP1200, which is pretty steep for a 10k run. However, two things: 1) this is Nike, the quality of the race shirt SHOULD be good. Besides, if you buy a shirt at their stores, it will set you back at pretty much the same amount, anyway. 2) if you finish the race within 2 hours and 30 minutes, you get a finisher's shirt. So that's two (2) Nike shirts. Not too bad right?

My wish is that this will be a very organized event. I can just imagine the mayhem at the finisher's booth when the time comes to claim the shirt. Maybe they can set up different booths per size. Note to self: finish strong so you can get your shirt early. :-)

Milo Marathon Finals - December 9, 2012. SM Mall of Asia. This is apparently the oldest marathon in the Philippines. For the final leg, I will be joining the 10k run. Will register on Thursday at BGC (when I get the race kit for the Haribon run). I even have the requisite 220g Milo pack handy.

My wish is that I will have a great time at this event. Great things start from small beginnings, says their famous ad. Hopefully I get to participate in a FULL Milo Marathon in the future (2013, perhaps?).

Sin Tax Run / Pinoy Fitness Run for Change - December 16, 2012. SM Mall of Asia / Bonifacio Global City. This will be my last run for 2012. Which one shall I be joining? It depends, it will be all about availability. The former costs only PHP16 to register. The latter is for PHP350. Both are for good causes. The one in BGC is a certified Green race.

My wish is that I get to register for the Sin Tax Race for economic purposes; however if I didn't make the cut (as only 5000 runners will be accommodated), then I wouldn't mind joining the PF run.

Which ones will you be joining?


Earl Patrick, The Running Yogi

No comments:

Post a Comment